Labor Day Pet Safety Tips
Labor Day Weekend is here, folks. That’s right; the official end to summer has come. I swear the older I get the faster the months seem to go by. Anyone else feel the same way?
I’m here today to give you a few Labor Day pet safety tips. It’s good to refresh your memory now before the drinks start pouring and the grill gets hot.
- Labor Day is a high traffic holiday. Many people are coming and going from cookouts, pool parties, and picnics. Prevent a lost pet by keeping entryways secured or confining your pet to one room when you have company.
- Planning an all-day BBQ? If you are planning an all day BBQ or picnic in the heat, it’s probably best to leave Fido at home where it’s cool and there’s plenty of shade and water!
- When in the doubt, skip the scraps! More pets end up in the vet’s office around holidays than any other time of year because humans think its ok to feed them scraps from the grill. Don’t change their normal diet or routine. Check out this list from the ASPCA of people food to avoid.
- Don’t leave your pet unattended around the BBQ. The smell of the food is too tempting and an overturned grill can pose a serious threat and fire hazard.
- Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingesting any of these items can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression in your pets, and if inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia.
- Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of paws' reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing-or even kidney disease in severe cases.
Following these simple tips plus our summer safety tips will ensure your pet has a great time celebrating with you. Have a fun and safe holiday weekend!
Leave a Paw Print
What are you planning this Labor Day Weekend? How will you incorporate you pet into your plans? Leave us a comment below and let us know!