Dog-Friendly Farmers Markets in Coastal Virginia
One of my favorite things to do in the fall that I mentioned in last week’s fall bucket list is shopping for local produce at the farmers market. I also love it because I can take my dog Chuy along for an adventure. We usually go to the Old Beach Farmers Market or the Virginia Beach Farmers Market. I was curious what other local farmers markets are dog friendly so I did some research. It turns out there’s quite a few across the seven cities. I have the ultimate guide listed by city over at the Hampton Roads Dog Blog.
Here are a few tips for visiting a farmers market with your dog.
- Feed your dog before going anywhere in public with them, especially to a place that has lots of food and yummy smells! A full stomach will keep them calm—or in some cases—calmer.
- Go for a walk before you arrive to tire your dog out and rid them of any nervous energy.
- Not all dogs are cut out for walking around a crowded market. If your dog is not socialized and doesn’t react well to strangers, please stay home and work on training them first.
- Always keep your dog on a leash, no matter what.
- Clean up after your dog. Dog owners leaving a mess behind can cause businesses to stop allowing dogs.
What is your favorite Farmers Market in Coastal Virginia? Leave us a comment and let us know!